Issue 5 – Autumn 2022
ENGLISH edition, 160 pages.
Inside Tazio number 5:
The BMW Motorsport special
To celebrate the 50 years of M, we have devoted almost all of our pages to document the sporting history of the Motorsport GmbH. Starring: Jochen Neerpasch, Hans-Joachim Stuck, Toine Hezemans, Gordon Murray, Steve Soper, Eric van de Poele, Christian Danner, Jean-Michel Martin, Mario Theissen, Pierluigi Martini, Timo Glock, Hurley Haywood and Christian Geistdörfer.
Welcome to our first special, where we dedicate pretty much all our pages to the 50 Years of BMW Motorsport. Promised: even if you’re not a BMW fan, you will like this.
- Where it all began: we go on track in a Group 2 BMW 3.0 CSL and talk to Toine Hezemans.
- Jochen Neerpasch sits down and talks us through his days at Motorsport: “One evening, I got a phone call from Bob Lutz who said: ‘I don’t like how your Fords are beating our BMWs. Do you want to come over to us?’.”
- Hans-Joachim Stuck tells all about his wonder years with BMW.
- BMW was the first constructor to take the Formula 1 world title with a turbo engine. Gordon Murray guides us through the 1983 F1 season and one of his most remarkable creations: the Brabham BT53.
- In the 1992, the Spa 24 Hours should have been a BMW parade. Instead, the race turned into a last lap sprint between two BMW drivers. Thirty years later, we go back to Spa with the main characters: Steve Soper, Eric van de Poele and the #5 BMW E30 M3.
- BMW Motorsport has only one Le Mans 24-victory to its name. For newly-appointed BMW Motorsport co-director Mario Theissen, this was the first big race he was to oversee.
- Pierluigi Martini drove the 1999 Le Mans-winning BMW V12 LMR across the line. He guides us through his remarkable career and looks back on that day at La Sarthe.
- We have a BMW M3, a BMW M4 and a Class 1 BMW M4 at the Red Bull Ring in Austria to report on Motorsport’s final big chapter (for now): the DTM.
- Columns from Hurley Haywood, Steve Soper and Christian Geistdörfer on BMW
- And so much more.
ISSN Number 2795-6970.