Rover SD1 the full story 1976 – 1986.
Rover’s big hatchback saloon of the 1970s and 1980s had all the elements of a superb motor car. It was the work of long-standing Rover engineers, with substantial input from their colleagues at Triumph. The SD1’s top models even shared their V8 engines with earlier and much-loved classics from Rover. It was stunningly attractive, cleverly derived from Italian supercar styling and still extraordinarily practical thanks to its large hatchback configuration. In this new book, Rover historian James Taylor tells the full story of the SD1, warts and all, from initial concept to final production model.
With over 250 photographs, the book covers:Â
– The SD1 background and development
– The oft-criticized early models, and the more successful later variants
– The exclusive Vitesse and Vanden Plas models
– Overseas and police variants
– The SD1 in motor sport
– Buying and owning an SD1 today
English, hardcover, 208pages, 2016, James Taylor.