Land Rover Discovery 25 tears of the Family 4×4.
A quarter of a century ago, the Land Rover Discovery defined at a stroke how traditional 4 x 4 all-terrain ability could co-exist with family-estate practicality at an affordable price. Since 1989, the Discovery has gone through several iterations, but its essential qualities have remained unchanged. Practical, capable, and above all completely distinctive – the stepped roof seemed odd at first but now defines the Discovery shape – the Discovery has gone on to become one of Land Rover’s best-loved products.
Topics covered include:Â
– Design and development of the original Discovery in the late 1980s, and the move into North America
– The new 300Tdi engine and R380 gearbox of 1994, and the BMW takeover
– Series II models of 1998-2004, and Land Rover’s move from BMW to Ford
– Discovery 3/’LR3′ – 2004-2009, and the new TDV6 engine, developed by Jaguar
– Discovery 4/’LR4′ – the all-purpose family luxury car
– Special editions and derivatives of all four generations of Discovery, including Discoverys for the emergency services and the Camel Trophy and G4 Challenge competition vehicles
– The twenty-fifth year of production and the 2014 models
English, hardcover, 240 pages, 2014, James Taylor.